This information is brought to you by FEDEMAC in conjunction with the member National Associations and moving companies in the European Union and European Economic Area.  Care has been taken to present a complete and accurate guide to the requirements, but FEDEMAC, the National Associations and moving companies that have contributed to this guide are not liable for any omissions, costs or delays arising from the use of this guide.

In order to move a shipment to Europe you will need to have the following Permits in addition to local licensing requirements:

  • UK & EU EORI Number
  • EMCT Permit for Relocation
  • Vehicle insurance and Green Card
  • Register on GVMS (Goods Vehicle Movement System) for generation of GMR (Goods Movement Record)
  • Kent Access Permit (if using Kent ports/tunnel)

From January 1, 2021 you will be required to complete a customs document for each shipment to Europe.  Your will also need to register the trip on the Goods Vehicle Movement System If you have experience in completing customs documentation you may choose to do this yourself.  If you do not have experience, you may choose to use a customs broker.

In order to export a household goods shipment and import to Europe you will need to complete the following customs document(s):

Export Documents:

  • Export declaration EAD (Export Accompanying Document)
  • T1 transit form
  • ENS (Entry Summary Declaration) in the ICS (Import Control System) to the EU port of entry 1 hour prior to arrival

Import Documents:

Croatian Citizen:

  • Copy of HR ID/Passport 
  • Declaration of Ownership (verified by a notary)
  • Original Letter from the Croatian Embassy in the host country that the shipper lived there from …. to ……. (must show that the owner of the goods has lived abroad for more that 12 months)
  • Two copies of Valued Inventory of all items (in Croatian)
  • Power of Attorney (verified by a notary)
  • Exemption from customs duties and VAT

Foreign Citizen:

  • Copy of Photo Page of Passport 
  • Declaration of Ownership (verified by a notary)
  • Copy of visa / extended stay permit / work permit / proof of residence (minimum of one year)
  • Copy of lease/home purchase contract
  • Employment contract or company court registration documents (self-employed)
  • Two copies of Valued Inventory of all items (in Croatian)
  • Power of Attorney (verified by a notary)
  • Exemption from customs duties and VAT


  • Copy of Diplomatic Passport
  • VAT number of the Embassies
  • Original Letter of protocol issued by Croatian MFA
  • Two copies of Valued Inventory of all items (in Croatian)
  • Power of Attorney (verified by a notary)

Antiques, Artifacts, Carpets, Paintings: 

  • Restrictions apply – when importing jewelry / art antiques, these items must be registered upon arrival in Croatia
  • No restriction on registered items as long as document from Croatian Ministry of Culture is available to show the presence of item in Croatia. 

Important Note: 

Shippers (Foreign or Croatian citizens) who do not meet these conditions must pay customs duties 25% VAT on the value of the goods + customs duties for import of HHG and motor vehicles. It is recommended to avoid importation of electric devices, powers adapters, toys without CE mark.  Personal motor vehicle cannot be imported by Croatian Citizen without paying customs duties and VAT and special tax called TRO҆ARINE on mother vehicles. These forms must be original, and they are written in Croatian Language.

It is anticipated that the import of used household goods and personal effects will not attract any duties or taxes.  To avoid duties and taxes, you should use the following Classification on the customs declaration:

Classification Code: 99050000

The following items are restricted or prohibited from being included in a household goods shipment:

  • Alcohol and Tobacco Products
  • Unlicensed Drugs
  • Weapons, firearms, fireworks, explosives or ammunition
  • Pornographic material or indecent materials involving children
  • Counterfeit goods
  • Radio transmitters
  • Milk products or foodstuffs
  • Animals, birds or fish (whether alive or dead)
  • Parts taken from protected animal species, including furs, ivory etc.

The driver must carry the following documents on the journey:

  • Valid driver license
  • Passport 
  • International Driving Permit 1968
  • Valid DCPC card
  • EMCT Permit (original)
  • Vehicle documents
    • Vehicle V5 Registration plates and paperwork (truck and trailer)
    • Certificate of Conformity (truck and trailer)
    • Current MOT (truck and trailer)
    • Current Certificate of Roadworthiness (truck and trailer)
  • 28 days of tachographs or Digital Card
  • Motor Insurance certificate and Green Card
  • GB stickers on truck and trailer
  • Customs declarations
  • T1 transit form with MRN reference number
  • Packing list
  • CMR road consignment note
  • Commercial invoice
  • Evidence of stowaway procedure and checklist
  • Proof of income (France only)

Delays may be experienced by the driver and vehicle at areas around the ports in the United Kingdom and Europe.  Drivers may be required to wait in a designated holding area and follow signs, diversions as well as speed restrictions. In order to prepare for these challenges, drivers should:

  • Plan their journey to take breaks and rest periods before nearing regions close to the port to reduce the risk of exceeding hours limits if they are delayed.
  • Have food and water.