This information is brought to you by FEDEMAC in conjunction with the member National Associations and moving companies in the European Union and European Economic Area. Care has been taken to present a complete and accurate guide to the requirements, but FEDEMAC, the National Associations and moving companies that have contributed to this guide are not liable for any omissions, costs or delays arising from the use of this guide.
In order to move a shipment to the United Kingdom you will need to have the following Permits in addition to local licensing requirements:
UK EORI number https://www.tradersupportservice.co.uk/tss
From January 1, 2021 you will be required to complete a customs document for each shipment to the United Kingdom mainland. If you have experience in completing customs documentation you may choose to do this yourself. If you do not have experience, you may choose to use a customs broker.
In order to export a household goods shipment and import to the United Kingdom you will need to complete the following customs document(s):
- Enter ENS (Entry Summary Declaration) under ICS (Import Control System) 2 hours before arrival
- Add Consignment Information for the declaration that has been created https://www.tradersupportservice.co.uk/tss to obtain Movement Reference Number and ENS Number.
- Obtain a Port Pass or Goods Movement Reference (GMR) at www.tax.service.gov.uk/goods-movement-system/dashboard
- Complete the GMR application using the following guide: https://www.nicustomstradeacademy.co.uk/resources/how-to-guides/how-to-create-a-gmr-on-gvms/
- Upon correct entry you will obtain a barcode to be printed with a Port Pass of GMR Number which is provided/shown to the ferry operator
It is anticipated that the import of used household goods and personal effects will not attract any duties or taxes. To avoid duties and taxes, you should use the following Classification on the customs declaration:
Classification Code: 99050000
The following items are restricted or prohibited from being included in a household goods shipment to the mainland UK:
- Alcohol and Tobacco Products
- Unlicensed Drugs
- Weapons, firearms, fireworks, explosives or ammunition
- Pornographic material or indecent materials involving children
- Counterfeit goods
- Radio transmitters
- Milk products or foodstuffs
- Animals, birds or fish (whether alive or dead)
- Parts taken from protected animal species, including furs, ivory etc.
The driver must carry the following documents on the journey:
Check and add/update required documents:
- Valid driver license
- Passport with at least 6 months travel validity
- EMCT permit
- Packing list
- Vehicle registration document
- Vehicle insurance
Delays may be experienced by the driver and vehicle at areas around the ports in the United Kingdom and Europe. Drivers may be required to wait in a designated holding area and follow signs, diversions as well as speed restrictions. In order to prepare for these challenges, drivers should:
- Plan their journey to take breaks and rest periods before nearing regions close to the port to reduce the risk of exceeding hours limits if they are delayed.
- Have food and water.